Social work’s purpose is to help people who are in difficulty and to improve their lives. It is essential for troubled people to get the right assistance. In order for an employe to be able to offer that, he has to know what are the social work values he needs to respect.
Social work values and their importance
1. Social workers have to put their patients’ interests above their own interests. They have to assure them that remedies will be found for their problems and that the relation they have is strictly professional.
2. Social justice is an ethical principle that involves helping those who are underprivileged. People who have been victims of social abuse, homeless people or those who are struggling with substance abuse will appreciate a fair treatment that will help them recover from their problems.
3. Everyone has a right to dignity and that is why a social worker should understand the value that every person has. This might help him focus on the patient’s qualities and find out a way to improve his/her life based on that.
4. Being non-judgmental is one of the most important social work values and it is based on the examination of a situation by being objective. For example, a social worker should not make differences between people in different ethnic groups or between people with different orientations.
5. Social work principles are the things that make the service users trust the services they are offered. Confidentially is an important rule that must not be broken. If you want to have good results regarding the clients availability to talk freely about their troubles you should remember this aspect.
6. Empathy is a quality required to all social workers. They must feel compassion for those who are less fortunate and constantly assure them that things will turn out good eventually.
People who work in this field have some big responsibilities but in the meantime they bring some important contributions to society. If you want to build a career in this domain you can get involved by helping the underdeveloped countries or you can offer individual counseling on a smaller scale. Either way, you must be aware of the social work values this kind of job implies. They are the things that count the most if you want to accomplish you mission. Patients who resort of these kind of service have their best hopes on it and they must be understood right.